Relocation With A Child Outside of Florida

If your child has ever been subject to a custody proceeding (such as divorce, paternity, or temporary custody), then you are likely restricted in where you can move with the child under section 61.13001, Florida Statutes.  This law, known as the “Relocation Statute,” prevents a parent from moving a child more than 50 miles except under certain circumstances.

The first circumstance allowing relocation is if both parents agree.  However, strict requirements must be followed.  The agreement must:

  • Be in writing;
  • Reflect everyone’s consent to the relocation;
  • Include a time-sharing schedule for the non-relocating parent; and
  • Describe transportation arrangements for the non-relocating parent to see the child.

The Agreement must then be filed with the court and ratified by the judge.

If the parents do not agree to the move, then the parent seeking to move may file a petition to relocate, a process that also has some strict requirements.

If you have questions regarding relocation and you wish to speak with a child custody lawyer, call The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A., at (813) 443-0615 or fill out our online contact form.


4 replies
  1. David says:

    Putting out a press release will get the folks interested in this site. The info is great and needs to be spread. A lot of people are unsure about what to do when a relationship breaks up.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. […] Relocation With A Child Outside of Florida Archives […]

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply