Bubba The Love Sponge Legally Changed His Name. So Can You.

Bubba the Love Sponge is a nationally syndicated radio show host based out of Tampa Bay.  He was born Todd Clem, but in the 1990’s he legally changed his name.  The following is from Bubba987.com

In 1999 Clem legally changed his name to the trademarked Bubba the Love Sponge®, a nickname given to him by a former fellow DJ which appears as such on his passport and driver’s license. BTLS’ name recognition and popularity grew as the Bubba the Love Sponge® Show became syndicated throughout the US, and he became a top-rated media figure operating out of the Tampa Bay area.

You don’t have to be a celebrity to change your legal name.

So long as your civil rights are not suspended (for example, by being convicted of a felony), and so long as you are not attempting to change your name for an illegal or ulterior purpose, a circuit court in your home county has the authority to change your name.

Family Diplomacy: A Collaborative Law Firm has helped dozens of clients legally change their names, and for many different reasons.  We have successfully represented individuals who told judges the following purpose for their request:

  • I am getting divorced and want to go back to my maiden name;
  • I am a comedian/professional impersonator and wish to have my name sound like a former president;
  • I wish to honor my same-sex partner by taking on her last name;
  • I want to have a more Americanized name;
  • I want to have a Muslim name;
  • I want to have a Hindu name;
  • I want my name to be the same as my step-father’s name;
  • I want my name to change to my adopted father’s name;
  • My current name shows up negatively on Google searches, and I want a new name;
  • I have been in the news for something embarrassing, and I wish to turn over a new leaf;
  • I simply don’t like my name and want a new one; and
  • I want my legal name to be the same as my online avatar name.


The truth is that we have had great success in getting our clients’ names changed, in great part due to our preparation,  experience, and reputation.  Of course, every case is unique, and it is always possible that a judge might not grant your request for a legal name change, but we will give you the best opportunity to get your petition granted.

If you have questions about changing your legal name in Florida, schedule a consultation with Family Diplomacy at (813) 443-0615 or fill out our contact form.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply