Born Outside of Florida? You Can Still Get a Legal Name Change.

I recently had a conversation where a woman told me that she wanted to get a name change.  She had lived in Florida for the past 5 years, but she was born in New York City, and she was wondering if she would have to travel back to NYC to change her name and get her birth certificate amended.

I assured her that she could get the name change here in Florida.

Any person can apply for a name change in Florida so long as the person currently resides here.  States will generally recognize certified name change orders granted in other states and amend birth certificates accordingly.  However, some states have specific information required to be in the name change order, so it is best to retain an attorney with experience in name change proceedings to ensure that the Florida order complies with the birth state regulations.

If you have questions about changing your legal name in Florida, schedule a consultation with Family Diplomacy at (813) 443-0615 or fill out our contact form.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply