Tag Archive for: parental responsibility

Blog for The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A., Featured In News Clip

Website newsy.com has featured a recent article from ABC Family Law Blog, the official blog of The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A., in a news video.  The video discusses the website Cheaterville.com.

ABC Family Law Blog Featured in News Video

ABC Family Law Blog Featured in News Video



ABC Family Law Blog Featured in News Video

ABC Family Law Blog Featured in News Video


Around the 1:30 mark of the video, ABC Family Law Blog is mentioned as follows:

A Florida Family Law Blog is also worried about people abusing the site— going so far as to suggest the site could interfere with custody disputes.  “One of the factors in custody decisions is the ability to facilitate a close relationship between a child and his or her other parent, a scathing post on Cheaterville may be seen by a judge as antithetical to a child’s best interest.”

You can see the whole video at the following link:  http://www.newsy.com/videos/welcome-to-cheaterville-cheaters-beware/.

A Parent’s Handbook for Raising Healthy Teens

Thank you to Uninterrupted TV for providing a link to “Navigating the Teen Years: A Parent’s Handbook for Raising Healthy Teens.”

This pamphlet is written by the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign in cooperation with the American Academy of Pediatrics, National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, National Prevention Network, NYU Child Study Center, and Parent Corps.

Mixed Martial Artist Chuck Liddell Requests “Full Custody” of Child. What Should You Request?

TMZ.com reports that retired mixed martial artist Chuck Liddell requested “full custody” of his child in a California courtroom:

Chuck Liddell Requests "Full Custody"

Chuck Liddell Requests “Full Custody”

Chuck Liddell is in an L.A. courtroom asking a judge for full custody of his son, after the boy allegedly told him he didn’t want to live with his mom anymore.

Sources tell us 12-year-old Cade was visiting Chuck from Colorado, where he lives with [his] mom, Lori Geyer.  Chuck claims the boy was depressed and upset and didn’t want to go back.  And, Chuck says, Cade complained that he was “living with a severe toothache for 2 to 3 months.”

Chuck took Cade to a dentist, but feels his son’s “health and safety are at risk.”

Chuck’s lawyer mentioned in court the boy was allegedly abused by being forced to perform physical labor — including snow removal.

Though I frequently use the term “custody” when explaining family law issues to clients, the fact is that Florida courts no longer rule on “custody.”  Instead, a Florida judge will enter an order concerning “time-sharing” and “parental responsibility.”

Though this may seem like mere semantics, it is important to know what to ask for, and what a judge will grant.

Read more

Special Needs Children and Divorce

California family law attorney Lisa Helfend Meyer recently discussed particular issues that arise in divorce cases involving special needs children:

A parenting plan for the typical child may not be appropriate for an autistic child or one with other developmental issues. For example, it’s not unusual for the typical 3 year-old child to be able to have overnight stays with the non-custodial parent. She can understand the concept of time and that she will see her other parent again. The special-needs child often has difficulty with transitions, she is comforted by the familiar and doesn’t like changes in environment. Likewise, she may not be unable to express herself verbally nor to understand abstract concepts like time. Custody and visitation decisions for a special-needs child must take into account many issues like these.

Read more

Technological Solutions to Shared Parental Responsibility

South Carolina Attorney Megan C. Hunt mentions some online tools available to help facilitate co-parenting:

But the reality is that co-parenting is HARD.  It is difficult for two people who have decided they can’t get along to coordinate schedules, discipline, and all the other details of raising children.

Because co-parenting is so tough (and such situations are so common), there are now services and communities especially for parents who need help.  One such program is Our Family Wizard, which provides a calendar for documenting parenting time, an internal message system for communications with your ex-spouse, the ability to keep a shared or private journal about your children, and a way to share the children’s health, education, and other records.

Read more

What is a Parenting Plan?

According to Section 61.046 of the Florida Statutes:

“Parenting plan” means a document created to govern the relationship between the parents relating to decisions that must be made regarding the minor child and must contain a time-sharing schedule for the parents and child. The issues concerning the minor child may include, but are not limited to, the child’s education, health care, and physical, social, and emotional well-being. In creating the plan, all circumstances between the parents, including their historic relationship, domestic violence, and other factors must be taken into consideration.

(a) The parenting plan must be:

1. Developed and agreed to by the parents and approved by a court; or

Read more

Video: Ten Techniques To Minimize the Stress of Divorce on Children

Chicago family law attorney Richard Kulerski provides ten techniques that you can use to minimize the negative impact that a divorce can have on children:

Secretly Recording A Spouse Has A Price: $120,000.00

An article from Ars Technica discusses a woman who secretly put a recording device in a teddy bear to prove allegations that her estranged spouse was mistreating their daughter.  Not only did the family law court rule that the recordings were inadmissible, but the husband (“Duke”) sued the wife (“Dianna”) in federal court for, among other things, violation of the federal Wiretap Act.  From the article:

When Duke filed the federal lawsuit against Dianna in 2009, he also rounded up five other plaintiffs whose conversations had been recorded by the bear. One plaintiff, a cousin of Duke’s, at one point had the bear in his van for several days after it was left there accidentally; the cousin, going through his own divorce at the time, was upset that his conversations had been recorded and eventually distributed to people involved with Duke and Dianna’s custody case.

Read more

Father Flees Florida With Child; Faces Charges of Felony Interference With Custody of Child

News-Press.com out of Fort Meyers, Florida, is reporting that a father faces felony charges of interference with custody of a minor child after fleeing the state and hiding his child in Michigan.

The child’s father and mother had been divorced since May of 2010, and the father was exercising his regularly scheduled time-sharing with his child.  However, instead of returning the child to the mother at the end of his time-sharing schedule, the father simply left Florida without telling the mother where he or the child were going or when they would be back.  The Lee County Sheriff’s Office then obtained a warrant for the father’s arrest.

A charge of interference with custody of a minor child is based on section 787.03, Florida Statutes.  Below is the text of this statute:

Read more

Video: The Family Law Project – Paternity

The following video from Aspen Publishing dramatizes a consultation where a young man is seeking information regarding paternity:

Please note that, in Florida, if the state files a petition to establish paternity and child support on behalf of a mother, the issue of a father’s custody rights will not necessarily be addressed.  A father has to independently file a petition or counter-petition to establish paternity and a parenting plan.  Only then will a court enter an order which (i) lays out the father’s level of parental responsibility towards the child and (ii) creates a schedule which spells out the days when a father is entitled to spend time with the child.

To contact a Florida family law attorney regarding your paternity issue, visit the website of The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A., or call us at (813) 443-0615.