Temporary Time-Sharing Modification Due to Military Service

If a parent is activated, deployed, or temporarily assigned to military service, courts have the option of entering a temporary order that modifies a custody order.  That temporary order may provide the non-military parent with more time-sharing.  Due to recent changes to section 61.13002, Florida Statutes, the Court also has the option of designating a family member of the child to exercise time-sharing on behalf of the military parent.  Any temporary modification of the time-sharing will be dissolved once the military parent returns from the service, deployment, or temporary assignment.

Additionally, the temporary order may address child support by taking the following actions:

  1. Entering an order of temporary support from the service member to the non-military parent;
  2. Require the military parent to enroll the child in military benefits such as TriCare; or
  3. Suspend, abate, or reduce the child support obligation during the time of service.

Keep in mind that this only covers temporary deployments or assignments.  For permanent changes of station, the relocation procedures of section 61.13001, Florida Statutes, apply.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply